Third-Row Seat Removal and Roadworthiness in QLD – Regulations and steps to take for temporary or permanent removal of 3rd-row rear seats.
Q: Can I remove my third-row seats for a roadworthy inspection in QLD?
A: The answer depends on whether you plan to remove the seats temporarily or permanently.
You can temporarily remove your third-row seats without modification approval if:
- The seats are designed for quick release or bolt-on attachment.
- The removal doesn’t change the original vehicle category (e.g., a 7-seater remains a 7-seater).
- You can easily reinstall the seats using standard tools.
No need for:
- Engineers certificate or compliance plate.
- Notification to QLD Transport.
- Don’t remove the seatbelts, as this suggests a permanent change.
- Inform your insurer if the temporary removal affects your usual vehicle usage.
Removing third-row seats for good is considered a vehicle modification and requires:
- Engineer certificate and compliance plate certifying the modification meets safety standards.
- Submission of a Vehicle Modification Document (Form 10A) to QLD Transport for registration update.
- A modification plate was installed on the vehicle to reflect the new seating capacity.
When selling a car privately in QLD with permanent seat removal you can include:
Mod Approved & Roadworthy: Rear seats professionally removed and certified. Enjoy worry-free driving and hassle-free registration.
- Any change in vehicle category due to reduced seating may require additional modifications
- Inform your insurer about the permanent modification and update your policy if necessary.
Queensland Government: Permanent and Temporary Removal of Seats from Light Vehicles